Spain vs France Prediction: Euro 2024 Semi-Final Match Preview

9th July 2024

The winner of the match will face either Netherlands or England in the Euro 2024 final.

PHOTO| Euro 2024
PHOTO| Euro 2024
  • The Spain vs France will kick off at 10 PM on Tuesday night
  • Spain will be aiming to reach a fifth European Championship final, with only Germany (6) managing more.
  • France will be looking to reach their fourth Euros final, having done so in 1984, 2000 and 2016.

Spain and France will be hoping to move one step closer to clinching the Euro 2024 championship when they clash at the Allianz Arena in Munich, Germany on Tuesday night for a spot in the finals of the ongoing competition.

Although the two sides go into the game on the back of contrasting forms, only one target will be at the back of their minds when they meet in the do-or-die encounter.

In the quarterfinals, Spain took arguably the biggest scalp of the European championship when they beat hosts Germany 2-1 after extra time to secure their place in the last 4.

Dani Olmo opened the scoring early in the second half before a late Florian Wirtz equalizer forced extra time, only for Mikel Merino to prove the unlikely hero with his 119th-minute headed winner.

Click here to bet on this game on SportPesa

That last minute win ensured Luis de la Fuente’s side are the only team to have triumphed in all five matches of this tournament in Germany as they knock on the doors of history against France.

No team in European Championship history has won six matches in a single tournament and no side has ever triumphed in six Euro games in a row.

France on their part have largely failed to impress so far in Germany. Le Bleus have scored only three goals in five Euro 2024 matches, two being own goals and one a penalty.

They are the only team on record since 1980 to have more than 50 non-penalty shots at Euros and fail to find the net with any of them.

While their attack might be going through a rough patch, Didier Deschamps will boast of his team’s defensive nous as they have only been breached once in the five matches played.

Goalkeeper Mike Maignan has a 94% save percentage in the competition, the best of any goalkeeper to feature more than once.

ALSO READ: Harambee Stars should easily qualify for 2025 AFCON, says former Kenyan international

What time does Spain vs France start?

The match will kick off at 2200EAT and will be played at the Allianz Arena in Munich.

Spain vs France Team News

Spain are without three of their first-choice players for the Euro 2024 semi-final against France.

Pedri’s tournament is over after he picked up a knee injury in a challenge from Toni Kroos early in their quarter-final win over Germany.

Dani Carvajal and Robin Le Normand are also out after they both picked up their second bookings of the tournament last time out.

France have no injuries and player suspensions to deal with and should be unchanged with back-ups Marcus Thuram and Ferland Mendy reportedly fit for the bench despite contending with minor injuries in recent days.

ALSO READ: Harambee Stars to face giants Cameroon in AFCON 2025 qualifying group

Predicted startings XIs

France: Maignan (GK); Kounde, Upamecano, Saliba, Hernandez; Rabiot, Tchouameni, Kante; Dembele, Kolo Muani, Mbappe

Spain: Simon (GK); Navas, Nacho, Laporte, Cucurella; Ruiz, Rodri, Olmo; Lamal, Morata, Williams

Spain vs France Head-to-Head

These two teams are no strangers to one another at major tournaments, with Tuesday set to be the sixth such meeting between the pair.

Le Bleus won three of the first four meetings, triumphing 2-0 in the Euro 1984 final on home soil, 2-1 in the 2000 quarter-final of the same competition and 3-1 in the 2006 World Cup round of 16.

Spain were victorious in the most recent clash, a 2-0 quarter-final victory en route to Euro 2012 glory, while the other meeting ended as a 1-1 draw in the 1996 group stage of UEFA’s top international tournament.

Having already met in every other possible round of action at major tournaments, this semi-final will make Spain vs France just the third fixture to be played at each stage of the World Cup and Euros, along with Italy vs Spain and England vs Germany.

Spain vs France Prediction

Spain have the edge on paper with simulations giving them a 38.2% chance of making the final compared to France’s 31.8%.  A draw is also a real possibility with a 30% chance.

ALSO READ: Athletics coaches championing change in Iten win 500,000 through Tujiamini Gold Award by SportPesa