Connect with us


K”ogalo were crowned champions for the second season in a row despite Sofapaka coming from a goal down to draw against Tusker at Ruaraka.

Gor Mahia retained Kenyan Premier League crown after overcoming Kenya Revenue Authority 3-0 in a dramatic end to 2014 season at Kisumu Stadium on Saturday.

Goals from Erick Ochieng, Ugandan striker Dan Sserunkuma and Simon Mburu ensured that K’Ogalo completed the season on 60 points, three adrift of Sofapaka, who drew 2-2 against Tusker at Ruaraka.

Despite promising to deny Gor Mahia the title, Ushuru coach Ken Kenyatta watched helplessly on the touch line as his team struggled for a good part of the match. Chances were far in between during the first half with both teams preferring to be cautious.

It was Gor Mahia, who had first chance to go ahead after Dan Sserunkuma headed wide in front of goal after Godfrey Walusimbi had picked him out with a long free-kick. But Ushuru were not taking matters lying down as Evans Kiwanuka missed to put them ahead in 10th minute when the ball hit his leg and went out after finding himself inside Gor Mahia backline.

Then a perfect combination between Dan Sserunkuma and George Odhiambo in 44th minute should have counted but the Ugandan failed to beat Kennedy Otieno in Ushuru goal with a feebly taken shot.

Ten minutes later, Eric Ochieng did not make a mistake putting Gor Mahia ahead with a long range effort as the champions went to the break with a slim lead.

When the second half kicked-off, Gor Mahia continued from where they left and Dan Sserunkuma scored the second goal beating Kennedy Otieno from a well taken George Odhiambo pass. KRA did not give up as they looked to come back and second half substitute Godfrey Kataka was denied by Israel Emuge after coming on for Carlson Mweresa.

Then in the 61st minute, Jerim Onyango had to be at his best to deny Evans Kiwanuka from scoring with a well taken free-kick as the tax men earned their first corner of the second half. Israel Emuge, who was returning to Gor Mahia backline after a long layoff from injury, should have put his name on score sheet but was denied by Kennedy Otieno in KRA goal.

Gor Mahia substitute Simon Mburu, who had come on for Simon Pierre, engineered the third goal as his goal bound shot was deflected into the net by Ushuru defender Richard Mmboyi in 78th minute and it was enough to ensure Gor Mahia emerged champions AGAIN

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

More in Sports