NAIROBI, Kenya- The 2017 Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC) title battle intensifies on Saturday at the Top Fry Rally in the absence of champion Tapio Laukannen and MRT teammate, Manvir Baryan.
Manvir, who is the reigning 2017 African Rally Champion is away for the FIA gala dinner while his teammate Tapio is among those giving the Rift Valley Motor and Sports Club penultimate round the miss.
In their absence, KNRC championship leader, Ian Duncan and former winners, Carl ‘Flash’ Tundo who will be first off, the lamp and Baldev Chager are the favourites for the podium in Nakuru as they bid to gain mileage in the battle for the honours.
The 2017 KNRC series culminates with the belated Kenya Motor Sports Club (KMSC) round in early January. The KMSC round was postponed from November due to torrential rains which rendered the black cotton course impassable.
Duncan leads the KNRC log with 87 points, three ahead of Tundo with Chager (79) rounding the top three. Behind them Karan Patel (69), Baryan (68) and Laukannen (63) round the top six.
Tundo, Ian and Chager who participated in the recent East African Classic Rally have the biggest advantage in the quest for the coveted title should they score highly in Nakuru this weekend.
Having already tasted the intensity of classic machines over nine days in Kenya and Tanzania, the trio will return to the faster Mitsubishi Evolution X cars.
The rally, which have its headquarters at the Solai Club Nakuru, will be 377km long of which 156kms will be competitive divided into eight sections.
The first four stages will be repeated with the longest being 30.59Km while the shortest Stage will be 1.76Km. The event will run 83 percent on private land with open roads completing the course.
The single-day event will revolve around Nakuru, Menengai and Mogotio areas with the designated spectator viewing set for the ASK Showground.
Top Fry Nakuru Rally seeded entry list
- Carl “Flash”Tundo/Tum Jessop
- Onkar Rai/Gareth Dawe (Skoda Fabia R5)
- Baldev Singh Chager/Ravi Soni (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Karan Patel/James Mwangi (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Tejveer Rai/Zahir Shah (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Farhaaz Khan/Keith Henrie (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Jasmeet Chana/Ravi Chana (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- Mahesh Halai/ Ketan Halai (Subaru N12)
- . Eric Bengi/Tuta Mionki(Subaru N12)
- Minesh J Rathod/ Shameer Ole Yusuf (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)
- . Aakif Virani/Azhar Bhatti (Subaru)
- Ammar ‘Bushy’ Haq/Victor Okundi (Subaru N10)
- Tash Tundo/Chantal Chantal Louise Young (Subaru N10)
- Hussein Malik/ Steven P. Njenga(Mitsubishi Evolution 6)
- Leonardo Varese/Kigo Kareithi(Toyota Corolla RSI 2007 2WD)
- Sam Karangatha/ Edward N. Ndukui (Subaru Leon 1991 2WD)
- Nikhil Sachania/Salim Khan (Mitsubishi Evolution 10)