Connect with us

Athletics

Asbel Kiprop has expressed disappointment at missing this weekend’s World Relay Championships in Bahamas.

Beijing Olympics and two-time World 1,500 metres champion Asbel Kiprop  has expressed disappointment at missing this weekend’s World Relay Championships in Bahamas as he eyes a quick return at the Diamond League opener in Doha.

Kenya left for the second edition of World Relays on Wednesday night without their biggest star Kiprop and world 1,500m junior record holder Richard Kwemoi, who is reported to be at his base in Japan.

Kiprop on Thursday dismissed claims circulating that he had decided to skip Bahamas in retaliation after Athletics Kenya (AK) suspended his management, Rosa Associati, for six months to facilitate doping allegations levelled against runners in the Italian-led stable.

The Daegu 2011 and Moscow 2013 World Champion, who is bidding for a hat-trick in Beijing this summer, said he felt a similar hamstring strain to the one that saw his Olympic title defence at London 2012 collapse into a last place finish at the final in training.

“After the final training session previous Friday, I felt slight pain in my hamstring like the one I had before London. This time I decided not to risk seeing what happened at the Olympics and I informed the coaches and left camp to go to my doctor,” he said.

“After consulting with team management, AK and my doctor, we agreed there was no need for me to risk further injury. I’m always ready to run for my country. I was among the few elite runners who took part in the local relay series to make the Bahamas team and I hope I will recover well to compete in the Diamond League and in Beijing.”

Kiprop ran the anchor leg last year in Bahamas as Kenya won gold and set a new world record in the 4×1500 metres relay in 14:22:22.


Source: www.thestatesman.com

Follow Us

More in Athletics